Motivational Tools to Engage Every Employee on Your Team

Skilled managers and team leaders know that when motivating employees one size does not fit all. Every person on your team is moved by some combination of internal and external motivators. What works for one employee might actually have the opposite effect for another employee. Your motivational tool kit needs to be revisited and refreshed regularly if you want to keep every individual engaged.

External Motivators

Motivational

Think of extrinsic or external motivators as those incentives outside of the employee. In organizations, these motivators could include compensation and benefits, reward and incentive programs, and company or department goals. If an individual has family responsibilities, then, perhaps their economic needs motivate them. Physical security needs are also considered to be external motivators. How much control do you, as a team leader, have over these external factors? If you're thinking "very little" then you are right on target.

Motivational Tools to Engage Every Employee on Your Team

Internal Motivators

On the other hand, intrinsic or internal motivators include less tangible factors as personality and work ethic. Attitudes about authority, personal goals, and even the level of self-esteem that an employee exhibits are all an "inside job". Each employee's psychological needs drive their behaviors and choices. If you're thinking "I don't have much control over those internal factors either" then you may be missing an opportunity to motivate your team. In truth, you are able to influence individual performance by attending to each person's intrinsic motivators. You help to create the conditions through which each team member satisfies their internal drives.

Typical Motivators

In the NetSpeed Leadership training session, Coaching Smart People, we conduct an exercise in which participants identify their main motivators. Here is the list of motivators from which participants select their biggest driver (you can have your team do this exercise as well):

Now, imagine for a moment that an individual on your team selects the motivator get appreciated. If you were to ask "How do you know when you're appreciated," you might hear him say, "I like working in an environment where people sincerely thank each other. I don't have to be told every day that I'm appreciated but I do like to feel like what I'm doing contributes to the success of the team. If I work hard on a project, I want my boss to acknowledge that hard work, even if she needs to delay the project or have me change some of the results. I would rather get that feedback one-to-one than in a big group. I feel better having a personal conversation with my team leader about my value to the team. If she does it in front of the big group, I actually get pretty embarrassed and it's not a pleasant experience."

If one of your team members selects the motivator get connected to others, you might ask her, "What does it mean to be connected to others?" She might hear her say, "To me, it's the personal relationships that make work satisfying. I always say 'the more the merrier' when there's a chance to get something done--let's just roll up our sleeves and get it done together. I love to work with other people on important goals. I love the give-and-take and the sense that we're all in this together. I would hate sitting at my desk alone all day without that human interaction. It just fires me up and makes me want to run into work everyday."

Perhaps one of your team members selects the motivator get recognized and rewarded. You might ask, "How do you like to be recognized or rewarded?" and he might respond, "I'm constantly tracking how I'm doing against my own goals and, frankly, against others. I guess you could say that I'm a little bit competitive. But, hey, life and work are a game to me. If you throw me into a contest to see who can make the most sales calls in 24 hours, I'm hooked. When I make the highest number of calls, I want my boss to put my name out there as the guy who topped the list. I like that kind of public recognition. If you just take me into your office and say, 'good job' I feel miffed. If I did such a great job, why aren't you telling everybody?"

To give one last example, imagine that someone on your team selects get educated. You might ask her, "What does it mean to you to get educated?" And she might answer, "I guess you could say that I'm a life-long learner. I have a couple of college degrees and I hope to get started on my Ph.D in a few years. I read constantly. If you want to make me feel good, send me to a really good training class, or give me your favorite business book. In fact I can't wait to go home and dig in to the latest research on the process improvement tools we've started to use here. I guess I like to be the expert on the team."

These are just four examples of the way individuals might describe their main motivators. And their descriptions should give you some ideas about how to motivate them.

Get Appreciated

Ensure that you end every one-to-one meeting with a positive affirmation of his worth to you and the team. Send a simple email or write a thank-you note. Consider posting a stick note on his computer that he sees when he arrives at his desk first thing in the morning. Be specific, sincere, and generous in your praise. You might want to take him out for coffee or lunch and have a private conversation about how things are going and what you can do to support him on his current projects.

Get Connected to Others

It's all about the relationships. First, pay attention to your relationship to her. Clean up any miscommunication or confusion that may be preventing you from spending time with her. Tell her how much you value the fact that she is a team player. Keep her in the loop about goals, objectives, obstacles, and challenges. When ever you give her a task, ask her who she'd like to work with to get it done. Invite her to drop in to talk through problems or issues when needed. Introduce her to possible mentors and other champions. Praise her for the quality of her relationships with customers, co-workers, and colleagues.

Get Recognized and Rewarded

In many ways, he's the easiest kind of person to recognize. Do it publicly and do it often. He probably values certificates, plaques, and "employee of the month" awards (as long as they're seen as legitimate accomplishments). If his job includes regular reports on deliverables, make sure those reports are reviewed at team meetings. If you send out an email praising him, make sure that your boss is copied on the email. Feature him and his results in the company newsletter.

Get Educated

The best motivational tool for her is the opportunity to gain more knowledge and share it with others. Often seen as "the smartest person in the room", she shines when asked to update the team on the latest information. Freely share your favorite books. Forward EzineArticles. Ask her opinion as you are developing project plans. Praise her depth of knowledge in the topics that she is interested in. Give her the opportunity to do background research. And, if she can write well, ask her to write up her findings.

No matter what motivators the individuals on your team may choose, there is an opportunity for rich conversations that will tell you just what you need to know about how to engage them. So here's your action plan:

1) Schedule a team meeting.

2) Ask team members to select one or two motivators.

3) Have them discuss why this motivator is so important to them.

4) Then schedule one-to-one conversations with each individual to dig deeper.

5) Identify individual strategies for motivating each person and try them out.

6) Watch the results and make adjustments as you learn.

Creating a motivational work environment is one of the most challenging and most satisfying steps a managers can take. The payoff for you is higher productivity, greater job satisfaction, and the ability to hang on to your best team members.

Motivational Tools to Engage Every Employee on Your Team

Cynthia Clay is the President/CEO of NetSpeed Leadership (http://netspeedleadership.com). NetSpeed Leadership meets the learning needs of managers, supervisors, and individual contributors in small to mid-sized organizations. Our programs blend interactive instruction techniques with online reinforcement tools to extend learning beyond the classroom. With this holistic approach, our clients quickly launch programs, train participants, reinforce skills, and measure the impact. To learn more about motivating others, look at Coaching Smart People, one of 23 modules in the Netspeed Leadership training system.